BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 15, 2010

Something Else Entirely

I don't know if it's the writer in me or the love for a good story, but for some reason, movies really get to me...emotionally. A doleful movie will leave me sad the rest of the night. A joyful film might get me excited. Either way I cry. Every movie makes me think and question and analyze my own life.

Is it wrong to say that a particular movie actually depicts a relationship I am currently in? Or how I feel about my job? An event that happened to me yesterday? Or the way I feel right now? Would it be wrong to make a life-changing decision based on a quote that I heard on a movie? Is that mixing fantasy with reality? I mean, aren't movies just reality put on tape??... Aren't they?

I guess the difference lies in the fact that movies are restricted and refined. You can rewind a movie or pause a film. The main character already knows exactly what she is going to say even before her guy pops the question. The male protagonist already knows precisely how to react when his boss utters those dreaded words.

It's scripted. It's an act. It isn't real life. But then how come it feels so real inside, as if it somehow relates to me? Why is it that I leave the theatre unable to speak, with my mind traveling at raging speeds? Is it the writer in me? Or is it something else entirely?

1 comments:

stillarockstar said...

It may be scripted, or an act, but writers of films most likely write as a result of personal experiences or ones they've seen...so, it's completely a good thing to think so deeply about something you've heard & seen in movies...I'm exactly the same way, both in unfortunate or sad wake-up calls, or in inspiration. A couple examples from many..."The Break Up" I watched with my ex-husband was so similar to our marriage & we noticed that immediately, kind of laughing at the time & "The Freedom Writers" was so heartwarming & motivating to me as an educator & love for helping underprivileged people. I wanted to BE that teacher.

Happy Movie Watching & Happy Thinking...'tis a GOOD thing! :) It's an art.