BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sharing: Then and Now


I think it is funny that in preschool sharing is pushed so heavily by our teachers as the right thing to do. Of course, our teachers were talking about our animal crackers or a new toy we received for Christmas.

No one ever hints to you that it is such a scary thing, that it is such a scary thing to share your thoughts, your dreams, and your feelings. It's scary to share your life and your one true self with anyone really.

It makes you vulnerable, arms wide open, waiting and hoping that you won't get hurt this time, hoping that whoever comes along will accept you.

It takes courage to open up. And I've always found myself lacking that courage, too scared of the consequences.

Or am I simply that selfish preschool brat not wanting to play with the toy, but not wanting anyone else to enjoy it either.

I hated that kid.

(Excerpt from my journal, March 11, 2009)

1 comments:

stillarockstar said...

wow. SO true...never thought of it that way. good post!