BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 5, 2010

Making Bank at the Local Clothes Closet

Have you ever been to your local community clothes closet? I had never been to the one in my home town before. I had always thought that the clothes closet was a place where people who did not have a lot of money could go to buy clothes. And it is, but I always thought it would be really bad for someone like me, who isn't much in need, to go and shop. If I did, I would feel like I was stealing from the needy. But then I found out that our local clothes closet actually wants people like me to go in and purchase house/decor items in order to raise money to fund the clothes closet and food pantry. Hundreds of house/decor items are donated to them everyday, but people in need don't go to the clothes closet to buy decorative vases, pearl necklaces, or a 16 piece knife set. They go to buy the necessities: clothes, toiletry items, food, etc. So while home over Easter Break, my mom, my sister, and I decided to check it out!

We went, we shopped, we bought tons of items for way under value, and we were able to donate to a local charity. Let's just say we made bank in more ways than one! And I walked out happy!

As most of my readers know, I love to shop, and I am going to have to furnish an apartment upon graduation. So for the a whopping grand total of $17.75, I got a four piece canister set for flour, sugar, powdered sugar, and brown sugar; a set of eight, 16 oz. glasses; a set of five decorative glasses, a Pyrex measuring bowl, a string of pearls, a pastry sifter, and a decorative wooden bowl to go on my kitchen table. Isn't that awesome?

So the moral of the story... check out your local clothes closet. Get some great buys while donating to people in need. It's a win-win situation! Don't you just love those...

0 comments: