BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Whisk: A Luxury Item


There is just something about a whisk... you know the kitchen utensil, traditionally made of wire, you can use to "whisk" ingredients together like scrambled eggs, muffins, or cake batter. It's just a fun utensil, isn't it?

But the truth is, a whisk is actually an unnecessary object. You could blend scrambled eggs, muffins, or cake batter easily with just a regular kitchen spoon, wooden spoon, spatula or even a fork. So in that sense a whisk is a luxury item, a utensil invented to make life easier when life was already pretty easy. Mixing was already pretty easy, because we already had spoons and spatulas and forks.

So in purchasing items for the kitchen in my new apartment, a whisk could probably be something I should just scratch off my list and simply do without. But where would the fun be in that? For a mere $7.99, I can enjoy the luxury of soft, fluffy pancakes and perfectly scrambled eggs; finely-whipped, whipped cream and gently churned brown gravy; and smooth, velvety blueberry muffins and professionally blended cake batter. Who wouldn't want that? Sounds like I need to get myself a whisk; sounds like I am going to be living a life of luxury!

1 comments:

Alicia said...

I personally love whisks. I've gotten so used to them at home, I don't think I could live without one. Plus it takes less time than a spoon.