BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Josie's Too Courageous

If you follow my blog at all, you know I have a Yorkie-Poo named Josie. She is almost seven months old, but she is such a fun and playful dog. While only weighing 3.8 pounds, she still loves to play with our other dog, Charlie, a Newfoundland weighing over a hundred pounds. But sometimes she is too courageous...

Like this morning. I was downstairs getting ready for work when I heard a series of yelps from Josie. I ran upstairs to see what was wrong with her. She had either gotten stepped on or bitten by Charlie, and her eye was completely out of it's socket. She was bleeding all over the carpet, shaking, and pretty scared. I quickly called our vet and asked if we could bring her in to get looked at. My sister drove me to town as I held Josie, shaking and still bleeding in my arms. The vet said  that this problem was common in small dogs, because they didn't have strong optic nerves because they were so small. She said that Josie would need surgery, but she would be just fine.

Josie went into surgery early this morning. The vet placed the eyeball back into it's socket and sewed it shut. The plan is to remove the stitches and to re-evaluate the eye in two weeks. It's almost guaranteed that she will be blind in the eye, but it will only need to be removed if it gets infected. Otherwise, it will move and operate normally, even though she will not be able to see out of it. But it shouldn't affect her way of life, and she will live like any other dog.

I guess the situation could have been a lot worse, and Charlie could have seriously injured Josie due to their size differences. It's just I always thought if anything happened to her when she and Charlie were playing, she would get a scratch or a broken leg. I never even considered she could go blind.

So I am sad. But relieved that Josie is alright. And scared that she might lose the other eye if the two dogs play too rough again. Hopefully, we will get lucky. Because I love Josie. She is the first puppy that I've ever owned on my own, and I am pretty sure I would be heartbroken if I lost her.

0 comments: