BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Victim of the Infomercial: A True Story

Yes. I am a victim... a victim of the CRAZY, UNBELIEVABLY CONVINCING ATTACK of the infomercial.

And it's my own fault really! I know I shouldn't be watching them, because yes... I love to shop. And yes... I like to hear about and purchase products that will solve BIG PROBLEMS in my life. Or so the commercials say. Problems with things like cooking, cleaning, fashion, diet and exercise. But I know I have an problem. I admit it. I mean in college, I actually fell asleep to infomercials, just like babies fall asleep to lullabies.

This past Sunday, my boyfriend and I sat down to watch some T.V. Now with I only having regular T.V., no satellite or cable channels, we didn't have a lot of options. We flipped through the channels endlessly, until finally stumbling upon the last few minutes of an infomercial for the NuWave Oven. We paused, as the announcer on the show showed us the pleasures and perks of this AMAZING device, broasting a full chicken, steaming vegetables, and grilling burgers. After only five minutes of watching how this NuWave Oven was going to save us not only time and money but calories as well, my boyfriend and I were both convinced and already configuring a plan to buy the NuWave Oven... when the next infomercial popped up.

I fell into a trance for another ten minutes as I watched a man who seemed to be a well-known hairstylist (even though I had no idea who he was) explain to me how the InStyler Hair Straightener was going to miraculously change my life. It could straighten and curl and flip, all without any damage to you hair! I was in awe! So I turned to my boyfriend puppy-eyed and drooling... "PLEASE," I begged. "My birthday is coming up!" I said. Even though I knew full well my birthday was not until June, but technically it was coming up right!?

NuWave Oven what? I ran to the computer to check out the deal online... and within ten minutes of turning to the infomercial, I had NOT JUST ONE, but TWO InStyler Hair Straighteners on the way to my door... BUY ONE GET ONE FREE!... and billed to my boyfriend's credit card. (I DOUBLE promised to pay him back.)

Horrible, huh?

And then the next infomercial came on... It was for a workout DVD package called Zumba, which my sister has done at her local gym and has actually seen results from. "My sister loves this workout!" I exclaimed, beaming towards the T.V. screen.

My boyfriend quickly changed the channel. He was looking out for his credit limit. What a selfish guy! :)

0 comments: